Fix these mistakes and you won’t need to buy a gym membership.
Working out at home can be just as effective as working out at the gym. But still, many newbies give up after a few months and buy a gym subscription. Below, we discuss why the task can be frustrating and how to fix it.
1. You have chosen the wrong program
As a rule, home workouts consist of simple exercises like push-ups, squats and lunges, lifting weights, and light dumbbell bench presses. Such a program is suitable for those who want to maintain health, strengthen muscles and slightly increase overall endurance.
Whether your goals are to lose weight, build muscle, or build strength, you need a specific program.
How to fix it
Take some time to find the right training format:
- To build muscle, choose exercises where you can bring them close to failure. If your upper body isn’t that hard (chin-ups and push-ups to help you), then your legs may be a problem. Buy bands, do exercises on one leg, use drop sets with two different movements to “finish” the muscles. If they don’t get tired, they don’t grow
- To lose weight, choose a combination of strength and cardio, try high-intensity interval training (HIIT) – they don’t last long, but they really help burn a lot of calories. And don’t forget about nutrition: it means more than exercise
- To correct the figure, look for the best exercises to pump up the desired part of the body. For example, if you dream of a beautiful butt, it is better to sit on a chair, not squat. And also buy a rubber band expander and top off your gluteal muscles with a pelvic lift and other effective moves. Any part of the body has exercises that pump it better than others, recognize them right away so you don’t waste time.
2. You do not increase the load
Often people find some kind of training program, get used to it, and do not want to change anything.
At first, the exercises seem difficult. You struggle to complete sets, suffer from sore muscles in the morning, and rejoice in small positive changes, whether it’s an enlarged biceps or minus one centimeter in your waist.
Over time, the body adapts, and for further progress, you need to increase the volume of training, but you are already used to the program and perform it automatically, without thinking more.
The body is relaxed and good, but progress stalls.
How to fix it
Follow a simple rule: increase the load as soon as you finish the approach without difficulty. Add more reps, lift weights, try a harder variation of the move.
As for cardio, you can always diversify the program due to the intensity. For example, if we are talking about running, alternate calm sessions with interval training.
If you’re doing HIIT, you can always change your work and rest times or increase your pace.
3. You don’t have the right equipment
At first, you can do it without any equipment, but over time, it will become more and more difficult to load the body properly. Also, you will not be able to pump some muscle groups without sports equipment. For example, you will not be able to load your back without a horizontal bar and your legs without weights.
How to fix it
If you want to progress, buy a minimum set of equipment for home exercises: a horizontal bar, folding dumbbells and a weight of 16 kg, a jump rope, a set of expander bands with different resistances, training loops.
All this equipment can fit on a small nightstand. At the same time, training will be many times more effective – no worse than in the gym.
4. You don’t have a training schedule
As a general rule, people go to the gym at the same time, for example after work or before. Training is built into the model, a person gets used to it and does it “on the machine”.
Home exercises save time and give you more freedom. At the same time, the flexible hours and relaxed atmosphere make it hard to form a habit and make exercise part of your routine.
As a result, you miss workouts and it affects your performance.
How to fix it
Do a few important things that will help create the right atmosphere and tune in to the activity:
- set a clear time for classes in your schedule and do not violate the schedule
- determine the place in the apartment or house where you will study. Choose an area where there is enough free space and you can freely open the window
- swap out household items for workout clothes
- ask relatives not to interfere
- prepare a bottle of water so you don’t have to run to the kitchen every time
5. You don’t watch your diet
Most people start exercising at home to get rid of excess fat. In this case, the results directly depend on nutrition. Much more than exercise.
So, in a review of 15 studies, they found that a deficit of less than 500 kcal per day was created due to training – the “gold standard” for rapid weight loss.
Also, even regular intense exercise won’t necessarily make you slimmer. In one experiment, people spent six months trying to lose weight at 20 kcal per 1 kg of weight per week. It is as if a person weighing 70 kg runs for 30 minutes, five days a week. As a result, the participants threw off much less than they expected – about 2 kg.
Daily energy expenditure increased by 4% due to exercise, but when the scientists checked the metabolism in the breathing chamber, it was revealed that the energy expenditure in 24 hours decreased by the same 4% compared to the original. They spent more on classes, but also less on living in general.
How to fix it
Check your eating habits. It is not necessary to thoroughly calculate calories and follow a strict diet, but it does not hurt to imagine the energy balance approximately.
Try to exclude sources of fast carbohydrates: starchy and sweet, soft drinks, alcohol, and fast food, try to consume more vegetables, lean meat, and fish.
Strive to get used not only to exercise but also to a healthy diet without excess calories and constant snacking. This approach is more likely to help you shed extra pounds, and training will help keep them off.